Reasons to Support Lidl
The following points are considered to be ‘planning issues’
Retail / Employment:
- 40 new retail jobs will be created for local residents;
- Meet a clearly defined need for a discount foodstore in Richmond;
- The proposal would improve choice and promote competition;
- Lidl stocks a variety of unique product lines which are not available from other mainstream retailers;
- 80% of Lidl’s British fresh produce bears the Red Tractor logo1, so you can be assured that you are buying British;
- Provide a high quality contemporary building and significantly improve the visual impact of the existing derelict site;
- Use sustainable materials, construction techniques, building management systems and operation processes to promote energy efficient and environmentally friendly operations.
Benefits to Twickenham:
The redevelopment of the site will provide many benefits to the local area by:
- bringing a derelict brownfield site back into use;
- attracting more investment into Twickenham;
- increasing consumer choice for food retail;
- creating up to 40 new retail jobs for local residents;
- providing a much needed primary school facility to the area;
- creating a unique and practical learning experience for local children;
- A modern building using high quality materials will add a contemporary dimension to the existing streetscape;
- Significantly improve the visual impact of the existing vacant site.
- Sustainable construction techniques will be employed as well as the use of sustainable materials where possible;
- Lidl operate a highly energy efficient business with a strong commitment to recycling and the use of energy efficient equipment and techniques within the store to reduce carbon emissions;
- The subject site is in a highly accessible location.